How to Win on Slot MachineIs there a strategy to winning on slot machines? Slots are known for their randomness and since winning is left almost entirely up to chance, there is little to no strategy in playing to win. However, slot strategies do exist, and this guide will help you navigate through them. Learn how to win at slots with slot machine tips and strategies to play smart and pick games that will give you the best winning experience.
A majority of all slots today use a random number generator (RNG) to pick the sequence of symbols stopped in each spin. These computer chips retain no memory, making each symbol on the reels its own unique set of numbers and therefore resulting in each spin being a completely independent event, unaffected by those before and after it. Modern slots all use RNGs and thus always result in combinations that cannot be reasonably predicted. Winning remains solely up to luck, meaning that every player has the same chances of winning when they play. So, if it is random, are there any tricks to playing slots or beating RNGs? Yes! You cannot beat random number generators, but just as professional slot players exist, so do tricks on how to win at them! Of all the slot tricks in the book, finding the best slot machine to play is the main rule all expert and experienced players swear by. This can be hard to do as there are many games out there and of them, many look alike but have differences listed in their paytables. How do you find such games? The best way is by playing, reading up on game reviews, and watching others play online.
CHOOSING A SLOT
When trying to find the best slot game to play, start by picking those with high RTP or return-to-player percentages. This is the number of wins a slot returns out of the number of bets placed inside it. Slots generally have a payback percentage of 94-98%, with higher RTP or RTP over 96% considered as ‘good’. To find a slot’s RTP you have to check state gaming reports, available as public information with a simple search on the web. Online slots tend to have higher RTP rates than land-based casinos, and with online gaming you can test out slots to get to know their bonus features with Free Spins, Free Games, and welcome bonuses.
Another great slot machine tip (we cannot stress this enough!) is to always read the paytable! Every slot game you play will have a different paytable, explaining all payline types, bonus features, special symbols, and mini-game or jackpot triggers. When checking the paytable, be sure to notice special symbols like Wilds and Scatters as well as what symbols are most lucrative. The more paylines a slot game has, the more chances you have to win! Play games with bonus features you have fun triggering or win huge from. You can test out these games online and see what the experience is like for you! Remember – slots may take a while before they payout, so do not turn away before you give it some time. It may take a few hundred, thousand, or even million spins before you see a big payout. You can check how many ways to win and payline payouts in the paytable as well as explore the volatility of bonus games when you play for free online or try out a physical casino slot.
Speaking of volatility, how volatile are slots? Volatility in slots refers to the risk involved in a specific game. Volatility differs between slot machines and can be determined by highly diversified spin outcomes. To pick slots with low volatility (less risk, more consistency), look for games with fewer big prizes and more small prizes, smaller jackpots, fewer bonuses, and more paylines. You can also get a good feel for volatility by playing games and experiencing its consistency for yourself.
Jackpot size – You want a smaller jackpot.
SLOTS THAT PAY MORE
Ever heard of ‘loose’ slots? This is a term for slots that payout more, more often. Loose slots have high payback percentages and low volatility and are considered ‘loose’ due to their generosity in comparison to their location. A general land-based slots strategy is to find these slots and know that casinos will purposefully place them away from each other. This is true for online casinos as well as land-based ones. Since land-based casinos want players to see others win huge, these ‘loose’ slots are usually going to be located in more visible areas. Search for loose slots in casino areas with higher traffic and near poker rooms, table games, and around the main floor.
To pick the right slot machine to improve your winning chances, start by finding slots with more frequent payouts. This can be determined by research, trial, and by reading paytables of slots before you play. In playing progressive slots, look for games with a relatively small jackpot. The bigger the payout promise, the harder and longer it will take to attain so by playing games with smaller jackpots, you can be sure they will payout most often.
While smaller jackpot progressive slots do payout more, find progressive slots with large jackpots if it is massive wins, you are after. As a general rule with progressive slots, if you wish to play for longer on a set budget and have lots of fun winning lesser amounts, avoid progressive jackpots. If you are looking to strike it big, pace yourself to win huge with progressive slots and remember that it may take time to build up to a win, but hitting it will be huge, as these slots are the best way to win the most in slots games.
Casinos, particularly online ones, have lots of constant and ongoing promotions and events along with welcome bonuses and freebies. These are regularly available to all players along with a ‘slot club’ for bonus perks with slot fans in mind. Such benefits allow you to play for free, which is a terrific way to get to know different games and gain a feel for their volatility, trigger frequency, and bonus features.
STOPPING YOUR REELS
Is it better to stop a slot machine? Ultimately, there is no reason hitting the ‘stop’ button would affect the outcome of your spin. With RNGs, the outcome is immediately decided when you hit ‘spin’ and the spinning reels are more for visual effect. By not hitting the stop button, you avoid hitting the bet button as quickly and end up risking fewer bets (for those of you who practice budgeting). Some online games (Caesars Slots included) have an auto-spin option that may give you set amounts of spins to choose from which can also help in budgeting your playing expenses. For those of you anxious for bigger wins and better chances, stopping the reels allows for faster play with more spins per hour, upping your chances of hitting a win and helping you ‘prime the pump’ with more spins.
Should I be playing at MAX BET (or on BET MAX) to win more? Yes! This is the recommended method of playing slots. There is a myth around this that if you do not bet max, you will not win or that if you do not do so on every spin that you will always lose big to the house. This is NOT true! Playing on max bet some of the time can actually be a good strategy for winning more. With slots, your chance of winning is the same for each spin no matter your bet – including minimum bets. However, the more you risk the bigger your spin outcome can be, meaning that on a lucky spin using a max bet, your wins will be remarkably larger. This is even more true for online slots, as they add and offer extra bonuses, features, and wins to big payouts. Bet however you choose but do so on machines with bonus features you want to play or know you win lots on.
Overall, the best slot strategies lie in knowing what slots to play and what you are willing to bet to win. Choose games with higher return-to-player rates and bonus features you like to play in the style or theme most to your liking. Always check your paytables to consciously know what you are spinning, and look out for games with the jackpots, bonus features, and/or special symbols that best suit you. Most importantly, remember to have lots of fun and enjoy spinning as it may take time to reel in the big wins!
10 Expert Slot Tips
- Find slots with higher RTP (payback percentage)
- Choose a game that is the most fun for you!
- Play games with high RTP (96%+) that have bonus features or mini-games you want to play. Of these, pick the game that most suits your goals and fits your personality, so that it will be most enjoyable for you (whether by theme, bonus games, or winning experience) and try it out for free online! Once you have checked it out, decide if this is the best game for you.
- Stick to a set budget and plan this in advance!
- Check the paytable before playing a slot
- This allows you to make sure you are eligible for jackpots and know how to trigger bonus features, along with what special symbols are available and which symbols pay the most.
- Take your time – relax and have fun!
- All slots take a while before they hit, so rather than getting caught up in the high excitement of fast-paced online slots, try to relax, enjoy the experience, and think about each move you make. Slots may take hundreds, thousands, or even millions of spins before hitting a win, but the longer the wait the better the prize.
- Aim for smaller jackpots or play for the long run for big wins in progressive slots
- Steer clear of progressive slots if you are after a long-play experience with many small wins
- Play progressive slots if you have the patience to play for HUGE wins. Progressive slots are the ultimate and best way to hit the biggest slot outcomes.
- Pick progressive slots with smaller jackpots for more frequent wins or search for progressives with massive jackpots to play for the biggest wins
- Remember that progressive jackpots often take [extra] time – so be patient!
- Join a slot club!
- Caesars Slots, along with many other online casinos, have slot clubs and sign-ups available for players to get extra bonuses, exclusive offers, and daily freebies.
- Play simpler games
- If you’re playing on a budget, a simpler-made online game may be the best slot choice for you. Generally, the more complex a game’s development is, the more time and money was invested in building it, making it cost more to hit larger payouts. Stick to simpler, traditional games and see if your winning frequency or outcomes improve.
- Use bonuses and freebies!
- Do not let yourself miss free gaming when it’s available. Online slots have lots of freebies and constantly running promotions to help maintain excitement and allow slot players to play lots for free.
- Last but not least, don’t fall for fake tips!
- Lots of slot players claim it is possible to control the outcomes of slots by hitting buttons at specific times, rubbing machines in a particular way, or by studying the reels to know when to up a bet. Others may recommend watching the reels to know if a jackpot is about to hit or tracking ‘near misses’ to figure out when a slot is more likely to payout. With modern slots using RNGs, it is impossible to predict when and if a slot machine is going to hit. So, ignore these superstitions and focus on the strategy between finding the right slot for you over ‘lucky’ ways to beat a slot.